Thursday, July 2, 2015

Week 1

Jeff's Farewell

                                                                                  Airport Farewell

                                                                             Companion in the MTC


Halo family and friends! 

I hope you are all doing well. Today is the very first P-day of my mission! I haven't had any contact with the outside world for 8 days so it was nice to hear about something that wasn't in Spanish. The last 8 days have been totally surreal and crazy. I absolutely love the CCM (MTC) here in Mexico City! The MTC is in the middle of the city and is always loud. Even late at night when I am trying to go to sleep we can hear Mexican music, dogs barking, and so many cars honking their horns. It´s a really pretty area though around us. 

Last Wednesday was probably the longest and most emotionally confusing day of my life. I woke up at 3:30 AM  and my family dropped me off at the airport around 5. I'll miss them a lot but I know I'll see them soon! The flight from Seattle to Salt Lake was quiet but then the flight from Salt lake to Mexico City was so much fun! There were like 60 missionaries on our plane and everyone was so excited to start our missions. I wasn't able to eat until I got the MTC at like 6pm and I was totally wide eyed. Everyone looked like they were so old. Especially the other Elders. Turns out, I was just crazy because I was in Mexico and hadn't eaten for 15 hours and only slept for 2 hours the past two days. Turns out I am actually older than most of the Elders down here because most of them are straight out of high school and graduated a few weeks ago. 

I love my companion! His name is Elder Stockard and he is from Reno, Nevada. He went to BYU this past year and even lived in the same building as I did, but we didn't know each other until we came to the MTC! He played basketball in high school so we tear up the court during gym time. It's a blast. The first few days were pretty long though with orientation meetings and trying to adjust to the schedule. Now though, I am really enjoying myself and totally enjoying
 the opportunity to learn Spanish and teach in Spanish. I said my first prayer in Spanish last Thursday, my first full day here! It's crazy. I pray in Spanish, read Spanish scriptures, talk in Spanish all day, study Spanish, and even think all the time in Spanish. It is truly immersive and I really love it now! 

 I can't wait to head out to the field on August 3rd! All of the Latinos here say they love Saltillo so I can't wait. I am so grateful for my Savior and the strength he gives me everyday. 

All the best,
Elder Shipley 

No comments:

Post a Comment