Monday, August 24, 2015

Week 9

Dear Family and Friends,

Thanks for your love and support! This week was much better with my Spanish and I am starting to pull my weight in our lessons! This week was cooler in Piedras, there was even a cloudy day and it was the best day!  

This week, I want to share some of the humor of my life, because sometimes I just need to stop and laugh about what happens on a daily basis. First of all, I would like to share a short list of things that describe "You know it's hot in Piedras Negras when"...
1. There is nobody outside except for the missionaries. Literally, nobody.
2. You and your companion drink 30-40 liters of water a week. I drink about 3 times as much water as my companion. He thinks I am crazy because I down about a gallon of water a day. I think he is crazy because he drinks Coke. 
3. You immediately begin sweating when you walk out of the shower and always shower with cold water. 
4. You carry around a towel to wipe the sweat off your face. The towel is soaked within 30 minutes. 
5. Our apartment is 100 degrees farenhiet when we return home. I cannot tell you how wonderful 80 degrees sounds right now. Even 90 would be nice. 
6. Finally, perhaps the best, is that I have begun to use an umbrella every day. All day. I use the umbrella to create shade and protect myself from the sun. It is incredibly effective, considering there usually isn't a cloud in the sky. It looks incredibley stupid, but I have to protect myself from the sun! I am not down here in Mexico to suffer and get skin cancer because I have to walk under the blazing sun all day! Rather, I am here to talk to people about Jesus and his marvelous atonement! 

As if my companion and I weren't already way out of place, we now look even more goofy. Remember that I am an American with blond hair, blues eyes, my companion is Mexican, but looks Asian in every way. We are both giants compared to the people here, (my companion is almost as tall as me). The bishop of our ward checks in at about 5'3''. Not to mention we are in white shirts, ties, and pants and it is blazing hot. 

Also, everyone thinks I am from Washington DC when I tell them I am from Washington in the United States, so I started telling people I am from Seattle, a city north of California. Then the people I talk to look at me... and ask me if I miss California. Basically..... I am from Washington DC or California and I just kinda laugh and keep on going.

I also ate an entire Little Caesar's pizza for lunch the other day. I was so happy to finally finish the Questival Challenge from May of this year. My companion just stared at me like I was some kind of animal because he eats about a quarter of what I eat. It's crazy. 

Anyway, I gave a talk yesterday on Faith at church, in Spanish of course. I had some people compliment me on my Spanish and a few on my talk.  That made me happy!  Remember that the loving arms of our Savior are extended towards us! In order to accept them, we need to have faith and demostrate our love to our Savior every day! So my short message this week is have faith, demonstrate that faith by serving others and God, and remember to have a little humor in life because life is too short to be serious. 

All the best, 
Elder Shipley 

No comments:

Post a Comment