Monday, August 17, 2015

Week 8




Dear Family and Friends,

Thank you for continuing to write me and let me know how you are all doing! I am doing well here in Piedras Negras, Mexico!   I am a little hot, every day it is about 105-110 degrees, and of course the Spanish is slow but it is coming along! Every day I learn more and more and recognize more and more! We had an awesome experience last week with an investigator and a lesson that went for over 4 hours, the investigator and my comp just kept on talking and I would chime in occassionarly but he had so many great questions and has a tremendous desire to learn more. I kept pointing at my watching to tell my comp that perhaps, we should go, but he was following the spirit and did a great job. My companion know so much, he is honestly a pro at the scriptures and has a ton of street smarts. Without him, I would be in a lot of trouble here in Mexico. 

I want to share a great experience I had last week reading in the Book of Mormon.  In 1 Nephi 16: 18-32, we find the story of Nephi breaking his bow. I wish I could share this story with each of you but I don't have time. I will instead just share the 5 things I learned from it and encourage you to go search, ponder, and pray for yourself. 
1. We all have problems and difficulties: Nephi broke his only bow while his family was living in the wilderness and his family couldn't eat.          
2. Complaining, doesn't solve anything:  Laman, Lemuel, and Lehi complained and murmured about Nephi breaking the bow.
3. Work hard and do your part to solve the problem: Nephi made himself another bow. But he still didn't know where to hunt. 
4. You need to have faith that the Lord will answer your prayers when you have faith: Nephi asked his Dad, Lehi, who asked Heavenly Father in Faith. And according to their faith, the Lord solved the problem of the lack of food.   
5. This part is often forgotten, they gave thanks to God! "How great was their joy" Be joyful and Happy! This life is a life of happinness and joy! Remember that through "small means, the Lord can bring about great things" (verse 29). 
We all have difficulties and problems, but if we do our part, rely upon the Lord in faith, he will help us solve our problems and we can have joy! I know the Gospel is true and that Christ is our Savior. I am so privileged to spend my whole day talking about Jesus Christ in Spanish. 

I wish you all the best this week,
Elder Shipley 

No comments:

Post a Comment