Monday, December 14, 2015

Week 25


 On the streets with Elder Holmes
 More streets
 Jeff and his companion along with the other set of missionaries in his ward, a gentleman from the ward and SANTA!  I love Santa in Sunglasses!


 Sunrise in Piedras Negras
Jeff says he misses Hermione.  They ran into a gang of puppies this week.

Dear Family and Friends, 

Another crazy, awesome week in Piedras Negras!  It was great to stay in the same house, same area, and same ward as the last 3 transfers.  My new companion is named Elder Holmes and he is from Syracuse, Utah.  He is a really good missionary and I have enjoyed my first week with him! I was going to send an inspiring message about Christmas out with this email but unfortunately, I don't have time today! 

Last night, my companion and I got sick! That's the first time for me here in Mexico.  It wasn't very fun!  I only threw up five times and recovered this morning.  My companion is still doing poorly though, after throwing up at least a dozen times at home and not stopping, we had to take him to the hospital.  He is still there right now.  I am on a split with the other set of missionaries in my ward so I could email home.  My time is short, because I need to get back to the hospital and take care of him. 

There are definitely some perks and drawbacks to having an American companion!  It's great because we share the same culture and best of all...he loves football and I love football!  We enjoy talking about fútbol americano in Spanish!  The difficult part is that it's a battle to speak Spanish when your companion speaks your language!  However, we promised each other not to speak English during this transfer!

In order to fight the temptation to speak English, I wrote a note on a bunch of sticky notes and put them all around the house to remind us to speak Spanish! The note reads, "Even if it hurts, even if it`s difficult, even if you want to quit, speak Spanish! The Lord doesn't need missionaries who speak English, he wants us to speak Spanish!! Nobody said it would be easy, they only said it would be worth it" 

Remember that the important things in life are worth fighting!   Right now, the most important thing in my life is sharing the gospel in Spanish! I am truely enjoying my mission and the time I have to share the beautiful and joyful message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ with the people here in Piedras Negras, Mexico!

I hope you are all well and have a great week!
Elder Shipley 

No comments:

Post a Comment