Monday, September 14, 2015

Week 12



 First District
Dear Family and Friends,

Thank you for the continued love and support while I forward the work of the Lord here in Piedras Negras! Today is a strange day for me! I just finished my first transfer or first 6 weeks in the field! I'm not going to say it flew by, because it didn't. In fact, it was probably one of the hardest periods of my life, but in a different way, also one of the easiest. Let me explain and reflect a little on my first 6 weeks in the field. 

When I arrived in Piedras Negras, I arrived at 5 AM by bus. When my companion and I got off of the bus it was 100 degrees in the bus station. By 1pm, it was 118 degrees farenheit outside. Remember that missionaries are suppossed to be outside all day preaching the gospel so it was a very difficult time physically. I was not used to that kind of heat. Too be very honest, I don't really remember much about the first 2 weeks. I think it was honestly so hot that it impaired my memory.  

Since then, my Spanish has improved rapidly, it has gotten a lot cooler and my companion and I really started to click. I'm not going to say that it was always easy, at times, it was very difficult, but I learned so much from him and will never forget my first 6 weeks here. 

I have learned the importance of patience. Never in my life, have I had to be so patient. However, the past 6 weeks have also been some of the easiest because all I do, everyday, is walk around and talk to people about Jesus Christ! How cool is that! And in Spanish! I don't have to worry about school, grades, money, how my favorite football teams are doing.... I have one of the most unique opportunites in the world to share what I know with the people here. And I know that the Gospel is true and that Christ is our Savior. God is our Father and loves us more than we can imagine. Really, at it's core, a mission is very easy. I have the incredibnle opportunity to share the gospel every day, and I love it. 

I hope you are all doing well! Thank you for the updates on your lives! 
Sincerely,
Elder Shipley

No comments:

Post a Comment