Monday, September 21, 2015

Week 13



 Another shot of the Rio Grande
New companion with neighborhood horses? 
Walking the roads
Home Sweet Home!



Dear Family and Friends,

This was the first week of my second transfer in the field and it went really well! My new companion, who will also finish my training, is named Elder Alcala. He is from Mexicali, Mexico, and has 23 months on the mission. Elder Alcala will finish his mission in 5 weeks with me here in Piedras Negras so I plan on learning a lot from him. 

It is still very hot here, my favorite thing to say to the natives is that the "Canicula nunca se fue", basically, the 100 degree weather every day never left. What does a poor 19 year old kid from Seattle have to do to get some Seattle rain down here! It's ok though! I have adjusted and am really excited for the fall here. 

Elder Alcala just finished 3 months as the Assistant to the President, and thus is a fantastic missionary. He keeps every rule and works very hard. He is very different from my first companion, but I have adapted and now use the techniques from both during my teaching. We have found a couple of families who are really interested in coming to church and learning more about the gospel so I hope we have lots of success this week! 

I would like to share one of my favorite scriptures before I go, In Matthew 16:25, it says, "For whosever will save his life shall lose it, and whosoever will lose his life, for my sake, shall find it". 

I love this scripture! I feel like it totally embodies missionary work since we are literally serving the Lord 24/7. However, it is just as important for non-missionaries because only through Christ, keeping all of his commandments, and serving others with all of our heart, might, mind, and strength, can we have the fulness of joy that each of us desires! I have a very strong testimony of of our Savior, the Gospel, and when we put the Savior first in our lives, everything else works out for the best.

Thank you for your support! Have a great week!
All the best, 
Elder Shipley 

No comments:

Post a Comment