Monday, November 30, 2015

Week 23



 A plaza in Piedras right on the boarder of Mexico and Texas!
The wonderful sisters that cooked a "Thanksgiving Dinner" for the boys.
 Christmas boxes have arrived!!
 And, he opened all the boxes and unwrapped the gifts...on Thanksgiving!!!
 Jeff then wrapped it all back up and unwrapped it again the next morning for more fun!
 Mission Zone Christmas Party!
All missionaries in Piedras Negras Area singing Christmas Carols.
Brandom's Baptism!


Dear Family and Friends, 


This was a really good week in Piedras Negras! I got to celebrate the baptism of Brandom Beltran, Christmas with my mission President and 70 other missionaries, and of course Thanksgiving! 

My mission president drove up from Saltillo and hosted a Christmas conference for three zones all day here on Friday! We played games, ate a great meal, and went outside and sang Christmas carols! He also shared a super cool and deep message with us about the birth of the Savior from the first two chapters of the Book of Luke. It was a little strange celebrating Christmas on Black Friday, but it was still very special. I am going to try to summarize what the President spoke about with us and share it when we get closer to Christmas! 

This was of course highlighted by the baptism of Brandom! He is such an awesome kid! He reads all of the pamphlets we give him about the Plan of Salvation and the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, then highlights them, and answers the questions we ask him perfectly! He is a super kid! I love spending time with him and his family! His stepdad has been inactive for 5 years but recently has been coming to church with us and it is a true joy to spend time with this family! 

We spent a lot of time talking about the Holy Ghost this week in preparation for the baptism! The scriptures tell us how important the Holy Ghost is. My favorite verse to share with the people here is in the Book of John, chapter 14, verse 26. 

It reads: But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you". 

We know that the Holy Ghost has three primary functions, first to testify of Jesus Christ as our Savior.  The second, to help us understand what God wants us to learn, or teach us truth, and the third function is to sanctify us after we are baptized by the restored authority of God, so that we can feel the influence of the Holy Ghost for all of our lives.

I know that the Holy Ghost can be a super powerful influence in our lives! As a missionary, everything I do relies on the Holy Ghost and how he guides me! Always remember to be worthy and strive to feel the quiet impressions of the Holy Ghost in your life! I know that the work that I am doing right know is true and it was an absolute joy helping a son of our Heavenly Father gain the remission of his sins and also receive the Holy Ghost to be his guide for the rest of his life! 

I hope Thanksgiving was enjoyable! This may be my last week in Piedras so I am going to live it up! 

All is well, 
Elder Shipley 

No comments:

Post a Comment