Monday, August 1, 2016

Week 58 - Humility


 Catholic Church in the town square in Muzquiz
 Near their apartment complex
A "Pulga" in the center of Rosita.  Basically a big garage sale or flee market.

Dear family and friends, 

The update this week will be short because it was just another hot, work filled week here in Nueva Rosita. However, it went by super fast because when you love what you do, you never work a day in your life (or mission). 

I felt rather humbled on various occasions this past week. I think of all of the attributes of Jesus Christ that I have developed during my mission so far, I think that my humility has been the attribute that has most grown. Perhaps, it has to do with learning Spanish and not always understanding what people saying, or worse, when they don't understand me. Perhaps, the schedule, weather, or daily rejection has been the cause. Perhaps it is a mix of all of these things.  However, I think the part of my mission that has most taught me humility is understanding our Savior and how he showed humility through his actions and ultimate sacrifice. 

I love the account of our Savior when he washed the feet of his Apostles in the Bible, 

 12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?
 13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.
 14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another’s feet.
 15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
 16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. 

I truly have come to understand how deep and profound the actions of our Savior were when he washed the feet of the disciples. I doubt it was a very enjoyable task, in fact, I find it to be one of the more humiliating things a human could ever to do another. However, I appreciate the act because it teaches me that if our savior, the greatest human to ever walk the Earth was willing to humble himself to such depths, then I, as one of His humble followers should be willing to be just as humble. 
Thank you for your love and support! I love the mission! Have a great week! 
Elder Shipley 




No comments:

Post a Comment