Monday, August 15, 2016

Week 60 - On the move again!



 Jeffrey's Zone in Rosita
 Less serious Zone picture...
 Jeffrey and Juan Mireles, a member in the branch
 "Gotta love a good hamburger!"  Dinner before the mission leadership council.
 Jeffrey and all the missionaries leaving Rosita for new areas.
 Jeffrey eating a Hershey's bar with Sister Castle in Rosita.
 Jeffrey's companion Elder Perez from Mexico City.
Jeffrey being Spiderman climbing walls.

Dear Family and Friends!
I was informed last night by the assistants that I will be leaving Nueva Rosita and am going to return to Saltillo! YAY! I am so excited to go back to Saltillo! I will miss Rosita. It is a tiny little mining town about 2 hours south of Texas where I feel like I am living in slow motion at times because it is so small. However, I have really grown to love the people and developed a lot as a missionary. 

One thing I will not miss is the heat. I will be leaving Rosita and it's 100+ degree weather every day for the 80 degree comfort of Saltillo. Also, for those of you who are fans of the sombrero pictures, they are sadly coming to an end because you don't have to wear a sombrero in Saltillo! In fact, I am heading to the zone: Valle de las Flores (Valley of Flowers), in an area called Aurora (like the Disney princess) and I am so pumped. My new companion is named Elder Marin.  He is from Mexico, I don't remember what part but we were in the same zone about a year ago in Piedras. He is a really good guy and I cannot wait to be with a Mexican companion again! 

Also, I have always wanted to be in the zone: Valle de las Flores because it is like the crown jewel zone of the mission. We are going to have the zone meetings in the chapel right behind the mission offices and the secretaries, sister training leaders, and the assistants will all be in the zone! I am a little nervous because it's a lot of pressure! But at the end of the day there really is no pressure because we are all in the service of the Lord. 

This past week, we made our monthly trip down to Saltillo for the leadership conference. I was excited to be able to learn and be taught by President Cahoon and his wife. He had previously asked us to read chapter 10 of Preach my Gospel, to prepare us so we could learn some new teaching skills and improve skills we already have. However, I was very surprised on Thursday morning when the President and the assistants started to train us about the importance of love in missionary work. 

The President explained several excellent passages about love including when the Savior asked Peter several times if he loved him. He also shared several verses about keeping the commandments and how ¨if you love me, keep my commandments¨. However, he spent the majority of his time focusing on charity and the importance that charity has in the work of the Lord. I love what it says in Moroni 7: 45 and 46:

45. And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth in truth, beareth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

46. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity, never faileth.  Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail-
Charity is the opposite of pride, selfishness, laziness, and every negative attribute or characteristic that I can imagine.  If we have have charity in missionary work, in our relationships, and in all aspects of our lives, we will realize that is is the only way to have success and joy.  The Savior is the ultimate example of charity, including his teachings, his dealings, and his ultimate sacrifice.  President Cahoon extended to each of us the invitation to memorize Moroni 7: 45-46 and to put this most important principle into daily practice.  I extend the same invitation to my family members and friends.  Inviting you to have more love and charity towards everyone you come in contact with.
Thank you for your love and support! I love my mission!

All the best, 
Elder Shipley


No comments:

Post a Comment